The Caverns at Natural Bridge
Natural Bridge Caverns are one of the most popular attractions in our area! Each year, visitors come from near and far to observe these magnificent natural wonders. The caverns were discovered just before the turn of the twentieth century and opened to the public in 1977. Open seasonally, the Natural Bridge Caverns tours descend more than 34 stories deep within the Earth to get to the magnificent natural display. While underground, visitors can explore the caverns and view their many special features, including cavern structures such as the Colossal Dome room. This room is an enormous dome-shaped natural feature that was created over thousands of years. Walking from the dome room, visitors can gaze in-awe at other spectacular sights during the 45-minute tour of the Natural Bridge Caverns. You’ll be amazed by Mirror Lake, the Well Room, and the stalactites and stalagmites that grow from the Canyon Room. Read on for additional information on visiting the Caverns at Natural Bridge, including hours of operation, tour information, admission prices, and more!
Looking for more one-of-a-kind things to do during your trip to our area? Access our Natural Bridge Vacation Guide! This free resource is filled with local insight on what to explore during your visit.
Everything You Need to Know About the Caverns at Natural Bridge
Formation of the Caverns
So, how exactly did these Virginia caverns form? Well, technically, they’re still forming! The caverns are continuously changing through a slow, arduous natural process. Over time, slow-moving water transforms cracks and cavities in the mountain into great large passages. Natural deposits from minerals in the Earth created the cavern structures that the Natural Bridge Caverns are so famous for today. Because the caverns in Virginia are located beneath the Earth’s surface, the temperature remains a cool 54 degrees constantly. We recommend packing a sweater or lightweight jacket any time of year if you plan to visit the caverns!
Visit the Caverns
The Caverns at Natural Bridge are open March through November and Weekends only December through February.
Guided tours generally last about 45 minutes and begin every 60 minutes. We strongly recommend wearing proper walking shoes to this Virginia attraction as the topography can be hard to maneuver otherwise.
Located right off I-81 at exits 175, 180, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Natural Bridge Caverns are nearby Natural Bridge State Park. We recommend booking the Natural Bridge Two-Night Adventure Package! This special offer starts at $189.00 per night plus tax and includes:
- Two-night stay for two adults and two children.
- Complimentary breakfast for all each morning.
- Four tickets to the Caverns at Natural Bridge, Natural Bridge State Park, Natural Bridge Zoo, and Dinosaur Kingdom II.
*Tour space is limited and fills up quickly. We ask visitors to please plan accordingly and arrive early.
Current Hours of Operation
Winter Hours ~ December 3, 2021 until March 13, 2022.
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, 11am – 3pm. Last tour 3pm.
- Closed Monday through Thursday.
- Tours generally start every 60 minutes on the hour.
* Inclement Weather: We follow Rockbridge County Public School winter closure/delay schedule. When in doubt, please call for details.
* Please check the cavern’s Facebook page for tour time updates, which may affect your plans. We try to let visitors know when large groups have booked which inevitably changes tour times for other park guests. For additional questions, please call (540) 291-2482.
* To book group day tours, please contact email@example.com
* To book overnight tours and trips, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Adults — $18,
Kids ages 3 to 12 —$12
Military Discount (ID may be required) – 10 percent discount on regular admission prices (Cavern Tickets Only)
Stay Just Minutes Away at Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center
The Natural Bridge Historic Hotel and Conference Center is located just a three-minute drive or 10-minute walk from the Caverns at Natural Bridge. It’s the perfect homestead for your trip to Natural Bridge, Virginia. We’re also across the street from the famous Natural Bridge State Park, and nearby many other of the most sought-after attractions in the area.
Browse our Natural Bridge, VA, lodging options to begin planning your trip to our area. We can’t wait to show you around!