The Caverns at Natural Bridge
Natural Bridge Caverns are one of the most popular attractions in our area! Each year, visitors come from near and far to observe these magnificent natural wonders. The caverns were discovered just before the turn of the 20th century and first opened to the public in 1977. Open seasonally, the Natural Bridge Caverns tours explore 34 stories beneath the surface of the Earth to reveal one of the greatest natural underground displays on the East Coast. Read on for additional information on visiting the Caverns at Natural Bridge, including hours of operation, tour information, admission prices, and more!
Looking for more one-of-a-kind things to do during your trip to our area? Access our Natural Bridge Vacation Guide! This free resource is filled with local insight on what to explore during your visit.
Everything You Need to Know About the Caverns at Natural Bridge
How did the Natural Bridge Caverns Form?
So, how exactly did these Virginia caverns form? Well, technically, they’re still forming! The caverns are continuously changing through a slow, arduous natural process. Over time, slow-moving water transforms cracks and cavities in the mountain into great large passages. Natural deposits from minerals in the Earth created the cavern structures that the Natural Bridge Caverns are so famous for today. Because the caverns in Virginia are located beneath the Earth’s surface, the temperature remains a cool 54 degrees constantly. We recommend packing a sweater or lightweight jacket any time of year if you plan to visit the caverns!
How Can You Visit the Caverns at Natural Bridge
The Caverns at Natural Bridge are open March through November and Weekends only December through February.
Guided tours generally last about 45 minutes and begin every 60 minutes. We strongly recommend wearing proper walking shoes to this Virginia attraction as the topography can be hard to maneuver otherwise.
When Can You Tour the Caverns at Natural Bridge
Winter Hours: Closed Monday-Thursday
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10am-4pm
- December 26th-Janurary 7th: Open Every day from 10am-4pm
- Gem Mining is available 10am-4pm (Cavern tour not required for this activity. 4 bag options and a bucket available for purchase in the gift shop.) The Gem Mining Sluice is located outside. During the winter months depending on the weather, it may not be available on certain days. Please call for more information on availability.
- 1.8 Mile Buck Hill Trail 10am-4pm
Please Be Advised:
During the Spring and Fall, The Caverns At Natural Bridge offers several educational programs and tours for schools throughout Virginia. These schools typically book Monday-Friday between 10am – 2pm. If anyone is planning on visiting the Caverns during the week, we suggest calling ahead to confirm available tour times.
Cavern Tour Tickets:
Adults – $20
Kids (3 – 12) – $13
Military Discount (ID may be required) – 10 percent discount on regular admission prices (Cavern Tickets Only)
A County admission tax of 6% is added to all tickets.
* Inclement Weather: We follow Rockbridge County Public School winter closure/delay schedule. When in doubt, please call for details.
* Please check the cavern’s Facebook page for tour time updates, which may affect your plans. We try to let visitors know when large groups have booked which inevitably changes tour times for other park guests. For additional questions, please call (540) 291-2482.
* To book group day tours, please contact email@example.com
Located right off I-81 at exits 175, 180, and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Natural Bridge Caverns are nearby Natural Bridge State Park. We recommend booking the Natural Bridge Two-Night Adventure Package! This special offer starts at $257.00 per night plus tax and includes:
- Two-night stay for two adults and two children.
- Complimentary breakfast for all each morning.
- Four tickets to the Caverns at Natural Bridge, Natural Bridge State Park, Natural Bridge Zoo, and Dinosaur Kingdom II.
*Tour space is limited and fills up quickly. We ask visitors to please plan accordingly and arrive early.
How long does it take to go through the Caverns at Natural Bridge?
Approximately 60 minutes
How many steps do the Natural Bridge Caverns have?
How long a walk is the Natural Bridge Trail?
This is a 2.5 mile there-and-back trail that begins and ends at the same trailhead.
Stay in the Perfect Hotel Near the Natural Bridge Caverns
The Natural Bridge Historic Hotel and Conference Center is located just a three-minute drive or 10-minute walk from the Caverns at Natural Bridge. It’s the perfect homestead for your trip to Natural Bridge, Virginia. We’re also across the street from the famous Natural Bridge State Park, and nearby many other of the most sought-after attractions in the area.
Browse our Natural Bridge, VA, lodging options to begin planning your trip to our area. We can’t wait to show you around!